Summer has officially left us but if you’re in San Diego, that doesn’t mean that the sun and mid-70s sunshine has as well. Whether you’re vacationing or living in this beautiful city, there are some things you should do before the mild winter woes set in.
- Pack a picnic. There are so many options for picnicking near San Diego beaches, like La Jolla Shores, or at one of the many gardens in Balboa Park. Take advantage of the San Diego sunshine while it’s out in full force and pack up your family and a picnic basket full of food for the day.
- Go see in a drive-in movie. San Diego has three options for those seeking a retro-inspired and more affordable movie experience. There is the new Full Moon Drive-In which sets up shop every Friday-Sunday at Pacific Beach Middle School, South Bay Drive-In on Coronado Island, or Santee Drive-In.
- Enjoy a patio lunch downtown. Grabbing an affordable lunch in the Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego is more enjoyable when you can people watch from the pleasant patio of restaurants like Nicky Rottens, Fred’s Mexican Café or OsteriaPanevino.
- Attend a Vegas-style pool party! San Diego is wrapping summer up right on September 28 by throwing the Adult Swim closing party, the city’s newest pool party hot spot at Harrah’s Resort.
- Catch a summer concert at Paradise Point. On September 29, Barefoot Bar and Grill will host the last “Sunday Funday” summer concert of the season. From 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. you can listen to rock cover band Steal Dawn while overlooking Mission Bay with a drink in hand.
If you want to take advantage of all of the great end-of-summer action consider booking a cheap downtown San Diego hotel room at Pacific Inn & Suites which is just miles from all these events. Call 1-800-571-2933 to book a room or to speak with a reservations manager today.
Look at any calendar of events in San Diego and you’ll be sure to see museum events, new gallery openings, and art walks galore. America’s Finest City has quickly turned in to a mecca for art which is one reason for the San Diego Convention Center expansion plans; the expansion will provide increased exhibit space and public art displays for residents and visitors to enjoy.
But what’s better than strolling through a museum?Strolling through a museum with a glass of wine or a cocktail! San Diego is home to a myriad of events that pair art with alcohol.
One popular event, Culture and Cocktails, at the San Diego Museum of Arts in Balboa Park, is the place see and be seen. While a DJ spins top tunes, guests mix and mingle amongst fine art, occasionally topping off their cocktail at one of multiple bars strewn about the museum. The next event is on November 7, so mark your calendars and purchase your tickets in advance before they sell out.
Another treasure trove for art enthusiasts are all the museums near Little Italy. While not all the museums offer a hosted bar, 98 Bottles in Little Italy is happy to pour you a glass of Pinot while you paint. Just bring along your pre-purchased ticket to their “Painting and Vino” event, which takes place every Tuesday at 6 pm, and the venue will provide all the supplies and an art expert to help you recreate your own beautiful masterpiece.
If you’re looking for a cheap hotel in San Diego Downtown, less than 10 minutes away both of these events, check out Pacific Inn & Suites. Call 1-800-571-2933 to book a discounted room today!
If you’re looking for excitement, something out of the ordinary or simply want a heightened experience while staying in downtown San Diego, there are many fun, unique events that happen every year in San Diego’s downtown neighborhood. Here is a brief rundown of some of the most popular annual events that are held in the heart of America’s Finest City:
- Mardi Gras in the Gaslamp Quarter – Every March, the Gaslamp Quarter becomes a scene for jubilant revelers, parades, music and beads in the largest Fat Tuesday Celebration on the West Coast.
- Taste of Little Italy – Every June, participants can head over to Little Italy for a sampling of signature dishes of the area’s top restaurants. Participating restaurants change each year, as do their menu items, but one thing is for certain, tickets always go fast! For more information about the Taste of Little Italy event, click here.
- Comic Con – This annual July event is the largest congregation of comic and pop culture paraphernalia in the United States. The event attracts thousands of artists, celebrities, and comic book and movie enthusiasts. If in town for Comic Con, you will be able to enjoy the stunning SDCC and a variety of nearby convention center attractions.
- San Diego Restaurant Week – Twice a year, residents and visitors can enjoy fixed price menus at more than 180 of San Diego’s finest restaurants. Restaurant week gives individuals the opportunity to sample and try new cuisines and dishes they wouldn’t otherwise without the additional incentives and discounts.
While these are only a few of the hundreds of events that occur in San Diego, check when you’re thinking about staying in San Diego and see if you can be a part of one of the city’s annual events.
For the finest in cheap hotels in San Diego, reserve a room at the Pacific Inn. Conveniently located in downtown San Diego near the airport, our hotel is also within minutes of Little Italy, the Gaslamp Quarter and family attractions including the zoo and SeaWorld. With our year round hotel deals and discounts, there’s no better choice for your vacation.