There are so many fun activities in San Diego that are great for the whole family, the only downside is the price-tags on these outings can quickly add up if you’re not careful. If you’re traveling on a budget, this list of helpful tips put together by the Pacific Inn can help you have all the fun while being frugal.
Sea World is a must-see attraction if you’re visiting San Diego. However, as we all know, theme park food is usually mediocre in taste but high in price. That’s why we recommend checking out a San Diego restaurant near SeaWorld instead of waiting until you’re inside the park. Our favorite is the Broken Yolk Cafe just minutes from Sea World’s entrance. This breakfast cafe serves all different kinds of breakfast favorites in large portioned plates for very reasonable prices.
Another local attraction that can get pricey is the San Diego Zoo. The first way you can save money is by purchasing your ticket through Pacific Inn. If you book a room at this cheap downtown San Diego hotel, you can buy Zoo admission tickets for 15% off! We also recommend packing a lunch, which is easy if you book one of our suites with a kitchenette. You can prepare all your food here instead of wasting money eating out.
Lastly, while the Padre’s recently wrapped up their 2013 season, next year’s ball games will be here before you know it. It’s not necessary to spend a fortune to have fun at a baseball game. Save some money and buy cheap Petco Park seats in the top bleachers or in their lawn section. And if you’re going with a large group buying in bulk can save everyone some moolah!
Visiting San Diego doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg, especially when you book and save with Pacific Inn & Suites. Call 1-800-571-2933 to find out more information on our discounts or to book a room.
As we head into fall, there are a handful of San Diego events fast approaching. From haunted houses and pumpkin patches to Thanksgiving and Christmas festivities that will be here before you know it, the fall in San Diego is just as fun as the summer! For those who are vacationing and staying at one of cheap hotels in San Diego this fall season, check out these activities that are great for both couples and families, and most importantly, won’t break the bank.
October is the official “Kids Free Month” where various restaurants and attractions offer free items for children under the age of 12. One of the most popular kids free event takes place at the San Diego Zoo. With the purchase of one adult ticket, children under the age of 12 gain admission into the San Diego free of charge. Other local theme parks participating include the Safari Park and Legoland California.
Another great attraction to visit that is on the more inexpensive side is the USS Midway Museum. The large aircraft carrier is docked in the San Diego Bay and highlights a variety of historic aircrafts and features more than 100 exhibits. What’s great about this attraction is that the audio tour for the USS Midway at San Diego Harbor is included in the price of admission. Self-guided, you can explore at your own pace and can learn about the exhibits that interest you most.
For additional savings and a day of fun outdoors, head over to the historic community of Old Town. In addition to shopping in San Diego’s Old Town, there are countless options for dining and touring. With most of the attractions and restaurants being affordably priced, families and visitors can easily spend the entire day in this quaint neighborhood without spending their entire vacation budget.
Looking for more tips for saving on your San Diego vacation? Contact the Pacific Inn today and don’t forget to ask about our seasonal hotel deals!
San Diego ranks among the top 10 sunniest cities in the United States. With about 266 days of sunshine a year, visitors are able to bask in the sun while strolling around one of these top outdoor shopping areas that the city has to offer:
- Fashion Valley is a two-story mall has big name brands and bargains alike. Shoppers can smell the fine leather inside the likes of Coach and Prada or grab some stellar steals at Forever 21 and Armani Exchange. When you need to give your feet a break, grab a coffee at a department store café, like 59th&Lex in Bloomingdales, or sit down for a healthy and hearty organic meal at True Food Kitchen. We also recommend signing up to become a “Mall Insider” on their website before vising so you can get the scoop all new trends, store specials and mall events.
- Horton Plaza is a must-see for anyone visiting San Diego. This eclectic and maze-like fives story mall is easy to get lost in, which is why downloading the Westfield Mall smartphone app with a map is a good idea. If you’re looking for designer duds, this mall has it. Want discounts? Purchase the $5 Bright Pink Book of savings this month and you score coupons while also supporting a great non-profit aimed at preventing and treating breast and ovarian cancer. Trouble parking downtown? The Horton Plaza parking garage is free for three hours if you get your parking ticket validated when you make a $10 mall purchase.
- If you’re looking for bayside boutiques and family fun, then cruise down to Seaport Village to peruse the 50+ small shops. This is also a great place to listen to their free outdoor Sunday concerts, stroll along the beautiful San Diego Bay or attend one of their many weekly events like poetry readings. The parking lot does get packed during weekends but if you snag a spot in the Seaport Village parking lot be sure to validate your ticket with a $10 purchase, which will reduce the hourly parking rate from $8 to $3 for the first hour.
If you need a convenient place to stay and would rather spend your money shopping than on an overpriced hotel room, consider the Pacific Inn hotel near San Diego downtown. Call 1-800571-2933 to speak with a Reservation Manager today and be sure to ask about our weekly specials!
San Diego is known to be one of the most fitness friendly cities in the country. However, with the prices of gyms going through the roof, boot camp classes costing an arm and a leg, and trying to fit in with the trendy crowd at a ballet inspired workout, maybe it’s time to simplify fitness and make it free. Fortunately, there is no better place than San Diego for fun, laid back and free fitness routines and classes.
One of the most popular spots to get in a good workout with a stunning view is at the San Diego Convention Center (SDCC). Continually throughout the day workout enthusiasts will be walking or running up what some call the “stairs of death.” Power up the 100 stairs and keep running to the observation deck to reward yourself with a breathtaking view of the Coronado and San Diego Bay, if you still have any breath left. Another one of the San Diego Convention Center fun facts is that every Wednesday night at 9:45 pm fitness fanatics come in droves to run the lit-up stairs together while blaring music and words of motivation encourage runners onward and upward.
Another great place to get in a fun and free workout is at Balboa Park. Every Monday and Tuesday at 6:15pm adults can partake in a free restorative yoga class at the Balboa Park Activity Center. If you need to keep the kids active, they can practice volleyball skills on Wednesday nights at 5:30pm during a free youth volleyball clinic. If you are looking to run to the beat of your own drum, Balboa Park’s Morley Field Sports Complex has a 2 mile long track with 18 fitness station stops along the way. You’re also bound to catch someone with a healthy pre-packed lunch because this is one of the better San Diego Balboa Park picnic spots.
Once you have happily tired yourself out and enjoyed the fun fitness activities San Diego has to offer, consider booking a nearby room at a cheap hotel in San Diego downtown. The Pacific Inn offers discounts of up to 12% off for advanced booking and we always have senior and military specials. Call 1-800-571-2933 to make your reservation today.
From the moment you land at the San Diego International Airport an experience awaits you. The newly renovated airport has now become a mecca for shopping, relaxation and food.
Some of the new San Diego airport restaurants include Phil’s BBQ, Saffron, and Stone Brewing Co. Terminal 2 has added a the large “Sunset Cove,” which is an architecturally modern lounge and dining area surrounded by new amenities and spas. The same terminal also features new shops, some of which offer tax-free items.
The San Diego airport also proudly presents various artworks that are representative of the city, from performing art to rotating exhibits.
When visitors see everything that our airport has to offer they might not even want to leave! But if you must leave, Little Italy is right down the road and offers a great first taste of what San Diego has to offer. Little Italy parking spots can be few and far between, which is why taking public transportation from the airport is recommended.
However, once you’re down here there is so much to do! Little Italy is known for their food and festivities. Every Saturday they host a well-known certified farmers market where the streets are booming with fresh produce and live music. If you would rather sit down and have a meal prepared for you while soaking in the lively and charming ambiance of Little Italy, some must-try spots are Shino Sushi, Prepkitchen, and Craft and Commerce.
The cheap Pacific Inn is a Downtown San Diego hotel that is less than five minutes from both Little Italy and the airport. We offer an airport shuttle service as well as discounts on various local attractions. To make a reservation or to ask about our specials, please call 1-800-571-2933.
Summer has officially left us but if you’re in San Diego, that doesn’t mean that the sun and mid-70s sunshine has as well. Whether you’re vacationing or living in this beautiful city, there are some things you should do before the mild winter woes set in.
- Pack a picnic. There are so many options for picnicking near San Diego beaches, like La Jolla Shores, or at one of the many gardens in Balboa Park. Take advantage of the San Diego sunshine while it’s out in full force and pack up your family and a picnic basket full of food for the day.
- Go see in a drive-in movie. San Diego has three options for those seeking a retro-inspired and more affordable movie experience. There is the new Full Moon Drive-In which sets up shop every Friday-Sunday at Pacific Beach Middle School, South Bay Drive-In on Coronado Island, or Santee Drive-In.
- Enjoy a patio lunch downtown. Grabbing an affordable lunch in the Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego is more enjoyable when you can people watch from the pleasant patio of restaurants like Nicky Rottens, Fred’s Mexican Café or OsteriaPanevino.
- Attend a Vegas-style pool party! San Diego is wrapping summer up right on September 28 by throwing the Adult Swim closing party, the city’s newest pool party hot spot at Harrah’s Resort.
- Catch a summer concert at Paradise Point. On September 29, Barefoot Bar and Grill will host the last “Sunday Funday” summer concert of the season. From 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. you can listen to rock cover band Steal Dawn while overlooking Mission Bay with a drink in hand.
If you want to take advantage of all of the great end-of-summer action consider booking a cheap downtown San Diego hotel room at Pacific Inn & Suites which is just miles from all these events. Call 1-800-571-2933 to book a room or to speak with a reservations manager today.
San Diego is never lacking in fun and diverse events. We put together a list of this weekend’s best happenings to help you plan a fun and festive few days in America’s Finest City.
Friday: Catch one of the last Padres games of the season at PetcoPark when they go head-to-head with the Dodgers at 7:10 p.m. The first 25,000 attendees will receive a free Padres BBQ set made by Phil’s BBQ and can catch a fireworks show at the stadium right after the game. Friday’s game will also be honoring National Hispanic Heritage Month by hosting a Hispanic-themed celebration and honoring the Tijuana Little League team that advanced to the Little League World Series last month. After the game you can keep the night going strong by stopping in for a drink at one of Downtown’s cheap bars near Petco Park.
Saturday:On September 21 The San Diego Zoo is hosting a wild food and wine celebration. The grounds are going to be overrun with over 150 local restaurants, beer and wine vendors, and live music for this special one-night-only event. All the proceeds from the event, which runs from 7:30 p.m. to 12 a.m., will go to the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research. With the $100 ticket purchase guests can partake in a silent auction using their smart phones to bid for one of 200 items. Adults can roam the grounds looking at the various San Diego Zoo exhibits, go for a Skyfari ride or relax with drink in hand to the music of one of the nine bands.
Sunday: Sunday is certainly a fun day in San Diego. One option is to go to Arts Alive in Solana Beach where event goers will witness live art, stilt walkers, modern dance troupes and local musicians making music. Another fun and family-friendly event is the 18th Annual Encinitas Oktoberfest. If you’re looking for Bavarian dancers paired with German food and beer then this is the place to be.
The affordable San Diego Pacific Inn hotel wants to know what you plan on doing this weekend in San Diego!
If you’re visiting San Diego there are some surefire ways to save money even if you’re going to some of the most expensive attractions. Whether you need an idea for a cheap date or you want to know how to save money on your next family trip to SeaWorld, we have you covered.
If you’re looking to impress a date without putting a major dent in your wallet, going to one of many Old Town happy hour hot spots is a great route. Old Town manages to balance charm and romance with a bustling bar scene. Some of the best happy hour date spots include Harney Sushi, Casa Guadalajara and the Cosmopolitan. This area is also a great place to stroll through tiny shops or explore some of the free historical museums. If you’re looking to add a little more thrill then check out the famously haunted Whaley House where admission is as little as $6.
One of the must-see attractions in San Diego is SeaWorld, but tickets here can cost a pretty penny. The first way to save money is by purchasing your ticket online instead of at the gate which can save you $15 on an adult ticket or $7 on a child’s ticket. Also keep in mind that for $7 to $15 more per ticket, you can buy a pass that’s valid for the whole year. In fact, the month of October offers a deal that can’t be beat: with the purchase of a $79 adult ticket an accompanying child (ages 3-9) gets in for free! Once you’re in, be sure to check out some of the San Diego SeaWorld free shows that are offered.
You can also double up on savings by booking a room with Pacific Inn & Suites, a cheap downtown San Diego hotel. When you purchase your Sea World ticket through the hotel you save 15% off SeaWorld admission and 15% off your hotel stay. Call 619-232-6391 to make a reservation or to see how the Pacific Inn could save you even more money in San Diego.
San Diego is one of the country’s largest military towns with over seven Navy and Marine bases scattered throughout the County and home to about 95,000 military personnel. Our military presence makes San Diego one of the best places to appreciate the service provided by the country’s military men and woman. It also provides a beautiful backdrop to soak up military history at some of the area’s best museums and war-related sights.
- USS Midway Museum: This large vessel was the U.S. Navy’s longest serving aircraft carrier of the 20th century but it now serves as a floating museum. The self-guided audio that is provided with admission allows for USS Midway tours that are conducted at your own pace.
- San Diego Air and Space Museum: Located in Balboa Park, this is the place to go for everything related to military and futuristic aircraft. The museum features planes as far back as WWI and currently has a Centennial of Naval Aviation Exhibit highlighting the past 100 years of navy aircraft.
- MCRD Command Museum: Located at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD), this museum proudly displays the legacy of the Marine Corps throughout the years. The location not only serves as a location to preserve military artifacts, but it also acts as a training ground for new recruits.
- Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum: This noteworthy museum at the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar features 29 aircraft from WWII to today and is the country’s only Marine Corps aviation museum.
Tell Pacific Inn San Diego what your favorite military museum or memorial is in San Diego!
Love different cuisines? Looking to try something new? You’re in luck! From September 14th through 20th, more than 150 restaurants will be participating in the Restaurant Week event, offering some of the best deals for multi course lunches and dinners.
While San Diego Restaurant Week brings in a lot of business for local restaurants, it also provides residents and visitors with the opportunity to try something they may not have considered without the price incentive. Diners can enjoy two course prix fixe menus for lunch for $10, $15 and $20 and three and four course prix fixe menus for dinner for $20, $30 and $40. You can’t go wrong with a deal like that!
Participating restaurants can be found throughout the city of San Diego, stretching from northern coastal communities to the popular downtown district. The popular Balboa Park restaurant, The Prado is also participating in San Diego Restaurant Week for those who are interested in taking in the scenery, gardens or museums of the outdoor complex before or after their meal.
Whether you are craving Italian cuisine from Little Italy, traditional American fare from the restaurants in the Gaslamp or fresh seafood from a Seaport Village dining establishment, you’re sure to find something that will satisfy your cravings, and your wallet.
If you’re planning a visit to America’s Finest City during San Diego Restaurant Week, reserve a room at the affordable downtown Pacific Inn Hotel & Suites. We are within minutes of more than 75 participating restaurants and our low priced accommodations will provide you with all the savings you need to try more than one restaurant during your stay! What are you waiting for? Contact a Reservation Manager for rates and availability today.