This year, Saint Patrick’s Day lands on a Monday, making it difficult for everyone to celebrate between work and school obligations. Fortunately, the city of San Diego understands the predicament you’re likely in and is solving the problem by hosting a variety of events the entire weekend preceding the Irish holiday on the 17th. From where to go to where to stay, we’re going to cover the best of the best for Saint Patrick’s Day Weekend in San Diego.
Where to Celebrate
- Balboa Park Irish Festival – If you’re visiting San Diego with the family or are looking for a fun way to enjoy the holiday during the day, head over to Balboa Park from 10:30a to 6pm for a day of Irish fun. There will be live entertainment, folk singers, Irish Food and a Beer Garden. For the kids, there will be a bungee jump and Kid’s Zone as well as a St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Don’t have a place to stay yet? Learn more about cheap Balboa Park hotels for Saint Patrick’s Day.
- McFadden’s – As you might guess, this popular downtown Irish bar goes all out for their annual St. Patrick’s Day celebrations. In addition to your regular green-beer specials and cocktails, the party at McFadden’s will include live music, face painters, stilt-walkers, bagpipers and leprechauns. Be prepared for an evening full of fun during Saint Patrick’s Day weekend by reserving your cheap Gaslamp Quarter hotel in downtown San Diego today. This way, you won’t have to worry about designating a driver or paying for expensive parking.
- shamROCK – The 2014 shamROCK event will take place on Saturday, March 15th from 4pm to midnight. One of the largest parties on the West Coast, shamROCK will transform the downtown streets of San Diego into an “urban, super chic version of the beautiful rolling hills of Ireland.” Equipped with an outdoor Irish pub, a lighting show and live Celtic bands, visitors are sure to enjoy a bit of Ireland here in San Diego. Tickets are on sale on line and you can also purchase them on the day of the event.
- Irish 4 A Day Party Hop – Because many of the bars in downtown will be celebrating, be sure to visit all of them by participating in the Irish 4 A Day Party Hop. You will paint the town green by visiting 18 Irish pubs, nightclubs and bars in the Gaslamp Quarter. With the $29 advance ticket purchase (or $40 day of), you’ll receive a guided tour from Irish fairies and 10 welcome shots. You also won’t be responsible for cover at any of the participating bars during this 12 hour celebration from 2pm to 2am!
- USS Maritime Museum – On March 17th from 6pm to 11pm, the USS Maritime Museum will hold a Celtic Music Festival aboard the Berkeley Ferryboat. Tickets include live entertainment on two stages and a corned beef and cabbage. There will also be a full bar with all proceeds benefiting the Maritime Museum.
Cheap St. Patrick’s Day Hotels in Downtown San Diego
If you’re looking for a place to crash after a long weekend of Irish fun, continue your lucky streak by staying at the Pacific Inn & Suites. Our cheap St. Patrick’s Day hotel in downtown San Diego is located just minutes from the Gaslamp Quarter and we offer free parking to our guests. We also offer complimentary wireless internet and hot breakfast in the morning so you can relax after a long night.
Learn more about our affordable room rates and contact a Reservation Manager at 1-800-571-2933 for upcoming availability. Don’t forget to ask about special hotel deals on our already discounted rates!