Springtime has arrived in San Diego, which means it’s baseball season at Petco Park. When you stay at a cheap Petco Park hotel, you can catch a game almost any day of the week. Before you head to the ballpark, here are some fun and interesting facts about our beloved San Diego Padres baseball team.
1. Eric Show has won the most games out of all of the Padre’s pitchers. He won 101 games with 89 losses and his overall earned run average (ERA) was 3.66. He debuted on the team in 1981 and his last pitch was thrown on September 30, 1991.
2. Tony Gwynn has been by far the best hitter on the Padre’s team. He was at bat 9,288 times in his career with 135 home runs and a batting average of .338. He was also in the National League All Star game for fifteen years and only missed the 1988 season. He became a member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2007.
3. The Padres had their first game in San Diego stadium on April 8, 1969 with 23,370 fans attending. They beat the Houston Astros 2-1. They played in what later became Qualcomm Stadium until 2004 when the team opened up that season in their new home, Petco Park.
4. The Padres have won the National League pennant twice: once in 1984 and again in 1998. Both seasons they lost the World Series. Since 1969, they have had 14 winning seasons.
5. The San Diego Padres and the Anaheim Angels are the only two Major League Baseball teams to originate in California. The Dodgers were originally from Brooklyn and the Giants were from New York City. The Athletics were originally from Philadelphia and moved to California from Kansas City.
6. The Padres have played their spring training games in the Peoria Sports Complex in Peoria, Arizona since 1994, after moving from Yuma, Arizona.
Even if you don’t catch a Padres game this season, be sure to take a walk around Petco Park during your trip. Stay close to this amazing stadium and make your reservation at the Pacific Inn downtown. Our convenient location puts guests within easy distance of popular San Diego attractions such as SeaWorld, the Gaslamp Quarter, Seaport Village, and Petco Park. Call 1-800-571-2933 today or go online to check for rates and availability.