Fun Facts about the San Diego Convention Center
Whether you are planning to be an attendee or a host, the San Diego Convention Center offers the ideal environment for a premier business event, seminar or gathering. While we are all aware that the space of the San Diego Convention Center is grand, here are a few fun facts in terms of actual numbers!
- The San Diego Convention Center is a large center that has 525,701 sq. ft. of usable space and eight exhibit halls.
- Each of the eight exhibit halls has the ability to hold 50,000 people in each area, making grand events easy.
- Currently, the San Diego Convention Center is labeled as “green” by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- It recently underwent a transformation and a $216 million dollar expansion. The time frame was two years and has earned the title of the 45th largest convention center in the world.
- The Grand Lobby has almost 116,000 sq. ft. This area includes a Starbucks, Mail Boxes Etc. and ATM’s.
- Outdoor events take place in the plaza that has more than 77,000 sq. ft. of space.
- Those who want a formal meal will have no problem. There are two kitchens on site that can serve more than 12,000 people at once.
- There are 72 meeting rooms that can be rented throughout the facility.
- The Grand Lobby area has eleven escalators and three elevators for easy transport to other levels.
- There are two 40,000 sq. ft. ballrooms that are perfect for formal affairs and larger crowds.
Attending a convention but don’t have a place to stay? No problem! Reserve a room at the cheap Pacific Inn near the San Diego Convention Center. Located in downtown San Diego, we are a few minutes from both the convention center and the airport and offer discounted hotel accommodations to our guests. When making your reservation, tell the Reservation Manager you’ll be in town for a convention and learn about our exclusive hotel deals!