Fun Balboa Park Activities that Don’t Cost a Thing!
Balboa Park is a one-of-a-kind urban park that covers over 1,000 acres of land in the heart of downtown San Diego. After sightseeing or visiting the theme parks in San Diego, head to Balboa Park to relax and enjoy the outdoors. Not only does the park offer a variety of fun and interesting exhibits, there are many activities in Balboa Park that are free!
- The Spreckels Organ Pavilion – Located in Balboa Park, the Spreckels Organ Pavilion is home to the world’s largest outdoor organ. The Spreckels brothers donated the organ to the park in 1914 on the condition that it was used for free concerts. Today, this tradition continues in the summer with free live-concerts on Sundays, highlighting local bands and artists.
- The Palm Canyon Trail – This trail which leads from the Spreckels Organ Pavilion to the Alcazar gardens is a tropical oasis that contains more than 450 palm trees. After walking through the shade of the trail’s winding paths, take a picture on the beautifully constructed wooden footbridge.
- Gardens – Balboa Park is home to a variety of different gardens which are a great way to relax and take in some of the local flora and fauna. Stop by the Rose Gardens, the Veterans Memorial Garden, Desert Gardens or the Zoro Butterfly Garden located near the science museum.
- The House of Pacific Relations – Another free activity at Balboa Park is to explore the House of Pacific Relations. The HPR is a quaint group of cottages representing 32 countries. Each cottage aims to give you an insight into its unique culture.
- Min Gei Museum – This museum has six galleries with folk art from different cultures and is free for children 5 and under. On Sundays, there are free hands on art projects for the family and treasure maps to explore the museum.
Complimentary Admission Days & Other Ways to Save
Other museums also offer free admission on certain days and have discounted rates for children. If you are interested in checking out more of the Balboa Parks Museums, look into purchasing the Passport to Balboa Park. For a discounted price, you can visit 5 of the 14 participating Balboa Park Museums. Passports can be purchased at the visitor’s center.
For maximum convenience during your stay, reserve a room at the Pacific Inn, a budget Balboa Park hotel. We are located minutes from the park and offer some of the top rates for hotels in San Diego. In addition to being an affordable hotel option, we offer a variety of complimentary amenities including parking, wireless internet and breakfast prepared fresh daily. For more information, please contact a Reservation Manager today.