The 35th Annual Balboa Park December Nights holiday festival will begin this Friday, December 6 and run through the following Saturday. The park will be covered in lights, holiday decorations and festive cheer this weekend as staff prepares for upwards of 350,000 San Diego visitors.
Select park museums will be opening their doors free of charge from 5 to 9 pm for holiday spectators. There will also be cuisine from around the world along with multicultural music and entertainment. According to the Balboa Park visitors website, some things not to miss at this year’s festivities include:
- The Opening Ceremony on the stage of the Balboa Park’s Organ Pavilion. This is also when the winner of the Leo Hamel Perfect Proposal Contest will pop the surprise question!
- The International Christmas Festival foods at the House of Pacific Relations Cottages
- Annual Santa Lucia Procession at the Plaza de California
- Music and dance recitals courtesy of the San Diego Junior Theatre
- San Diego Civic Youth Ballet
- The Del Cerro Baptist’s Christmas Story Tree
There will also be ample opportunity for shopping, drinking, dancing. To stay in the loop on everything Balboa Park, text PARK to 27722 so that the park’s conservancy can send you important messages and updates. You can also download the free December Night’s app for your smartphone or iPad. The app will help you find festival activities and give you turn-by-turn directions and will also provide a list and time schedule of events.
The festival will be open to the public from 3pm to 11pm on Friday and from noon to 11 pm on Saturday. If you need somewhere to stay that’s near the park and San Diego’s Little Italy, call Pacific Inn at 1-800-571-2933.Given our central location, not more than five miles from most major San Diego attractions, our hotel would make an ideal place to stay over the holidays.